Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dear Friends,

From Aug 31st to Sept 15th I will be unreachable, as I will be on board the Ital Oceano, a freighter traveling from Savannah, Georgia, to Taranto, Italy. Reactions to this news have run the gauntlet.

“WHAT!?!?!?!” was the common response.
“That’s terrific! You’re going to have such a great time!” sometimes followed.
“Oh my god, you’ll be bored out of your mind!” was the other most common follow-up.

In polling my friends, about half of them thought I was crazy. The other half though I was crazy too, but wanted to hear all about it.

The normal conventions of travel do not exist as surprises pop up at every turn of the whole process. For instance, my ticket was printed in German. Regarding luggage, I was told “Take only as much as you can carry. It is 1-2 miles from the terminal to your ship and you’ll have to walk.” “Oh, and by the way, your Antwerp trip was canceled. But we can rebook you to Italy”.

Friends would hear me talk about this and exclaim with amazement that I was still interested in going.

“But its two weeks of peace and quiet,” I would argue. “No internet, no cell phone.”
“I would rather go to a beach and turn off my cell phone,” they would counter.

“Do you get sea sick?” they would inquire.
“I don’t think so. I’ve never been motion sick before.”
“But you realize it will be hurricane season?”

“Aren’t you worried about pirates?” some would ask.
“Uh, no? They are more of an issue off the coasts of Nigeria and Somalia. I’m going through the Straight of Gibraltar.”
“Dude – do you also go through the Bermuda Triangle?”
“Um…yes?”

So here I am, the day before boarding. Truth be told, I am a tad nervous – no one has told me what language the crew speaks. I wonder if I brought enough books. Whatever happens, it is sure to be an adventure.

http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Ital-Oceano-9300984.html

2 comments:

Ian said...

Sounds exciting! :-D You are bringing your fiddle with you, right? So you can entertain the crew and fend off pirates!

Old Tar Monk said...

Bon Voyage (of course, I guess you won't get this until the end of the Voyage...but...). I envy you the trip, and watch out for flying fish. Paul